Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant
The Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant was located in Warren, Michigan and was established 1940 on 341 acres at Warren, 17 miles northeast of Detroit. It had a staff of 400 military and 5,700 civilians. The mammoth structure measured over a million square feet and was five city blocks deep and two blocks wide. The building was designed by master industrial architect, Albert Kahn, in the Modern style. Few know when it was first opened the only way the building could be heated was with a locomotive steam engine. They brought the train directly into the building. This tank arsenal was the first ever built for mass production of American tanks. When World War II erupted in Europe, and Germany began using tanks in its Blitzkrieg offensives, the United States did not have a tank production program. It was thought not to be an affective weapon prior to this. By mid-1940, the U.S. realized it needed an armored force separate from its infantry. In response to this need, the Detroit Tank Arsenal Plant sprang up seemingly overnight in the winter of 1940-‘41. Over the years, both Chrysler and General Dynamics have operated the plant and together produced over 44,000 vehicles. In 1967, the Arsenal was renamed U.S. Army Tank-Automotive Command (TACOM) and gained control over nearly all of the Army’s tank-automotive systems. The plant itself closed in the 1990s.
The Regal Theater
The New Regal Theater is located on Chicago’s southside. John Eberson became nationally famous as a designer of atmospheric motion picture palaces, in which the audience sits within an imaginary courtyard, surrounded by exotic buildings under a star-filled sky. The New Regal, which originally was known as the Avalon when opened August 29th, 1927, is a prime example of this type of Movie Theater. Its Middle Eastern, Moorish design was reportedly inspired by a Persian incense burner that the architect found in an antique market. The 2400-seat theater was renamed in 1985, following a major renovation, in honor of the Regal Theater, a long-time center for the performing arts in the city's African-American community. The most celebrated black entertainers in America such as Cab Calloway, Louis Armstrong, Lena Horne, Dinah Washington, and Duke Ellington performed frequently at the Regal, and a few native Chicagoans like Nat “King” Cole got their professional start there. One of the lesser known facts about the Regal Theater is Stevie Wonder or (Little) Stevie Wonder as he was known in 1963 (since he was only 13-years old) recorded the live version of Finger Tips here. It was Motown’s second hit record and stay on Bilboard for months.
Pere Marquette Saginaw Train Station
The Pere Marquette Saginaw Station is located in Saginaw, Michigan. If you look on the National and State Historical Building Registers it will be called the Pere Marquette Saginaw Station. Locally it is called the East Saginaw or Potter Street Station. Potter Street was named after Henry C. Potter. According to the Saginaw News, “Henry Potter brought more than just a railroad to East Saginaw. He brought vitality.” The New York businessman and his partner Samuel Farwell, led a group that established the Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad, a 170-mile line that stretched from Flint to Ludington. The initial section, which ran from Mount Morris to Saginaw opened in 1862, giving East Saginaw its first train station. The depot became a gateway that invigorated the northeast corner of the community. When it was built in 1881, at the zenith of the Saginaw Valley lumber industry, the subject depot was considered the finest in Michigan and at least the equal of most in the larger cities. It was a social center onto itself in the hey-day of passenger train travel. At that time, as many as 50 passenger trains a day came to or left the depot with travelers bound in every direction. It had a fine restaurant in its early years. So good, old news paper articles claim, its cuisine rivaled that of the better hotels. Saginaw couples and families, with no thought of travel, often patronized it for Sunday dining.
Kellogg Cereal Plant
Is located in Battle Creek, Michigan. At one time Kellogg employed up to 5,000 people at the Porter Street 100 building facility. Michigan and Porter streets were often crowded with cars and buses, bringing up to 250,000 visitors a year to Battle Creek for the famous cereal plant tours. (Today, Kellogg and Post have a combined total of about 1,750 plant employees and tours were discontinued by the 1980s. Kellogg Company is the world's leading producer of cereal and a leading producer of convenience foods, including cookies, crackers, toaster pastries, cereal bars, frozen waffles, meat alternatives, pie crusts, and ice cream cones. The company's brands include Kellogg's, Keebler, Pop-Tarts, Eggo, Cheez-It, Nutri-Grain, Rice Krispies, Murray, Austin, Morningstar Farms, Famous Amos, Carr's, Plantation, Ready Crust, and Kashi. Kellogg products are manufactured in 17 countries and marketed in more than 180 countries around the world.
CentrePoint Business Park
CentrePoint Business Park is located south of the DFW airport midway between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas. It is a 1,300-acre, master-planned, mixed-use business park that is located at the southern entrance of the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport at state highways 183 and 360. CentrePort is owned by General Motors Asset Management, and is home to American Airlines’’s world headquarters, as well as Southwestern Bell, Uniden America, Travelocity.com, Office Max, Keebler, Whirlpool, and other Fortune 500 companies. CentrePort now boasts a daytime population of more than 25,000, with more than 100 businesses in operation.
Granot Loma is located outside Marquette, Michigan. When it was constructed it was billed as the largest log residence in the world. It is a fifty-room facility on 5,000 acres of woodland. The home features, his-and-hers wine cellars, a nine-car garage and a "gentleman’s farm and barns". The rustic private lodge of banker Louis Kaufman rivaled any Adirondack camp in its expense (an estimated $2 million spent over four years from 1919 to 1923 which in today’s dollars would be under $27,550,000), its size (the L-shaped main building is 215' by 300'), with explicated attention to detail. There are 60 fireplaces, one resembling a birch bark tipi. Concrete and steel attach the house to a granite outcrop at Lake Superior’s edge, but the surface materials are natural - primitive and hand finished: rubbed spruce logs, bark wall coverings of birch and cedar, local fieldstone, and slate from the Arvon slate quarry in the Huron Mountains near L'Anse. Indian motifs, Navajo rugs, and bright colors (oranges, greens, yellows, reds, and black and white) reflected Kaufman's pride in his Indian ancestry. His father, a Jewish immigrant who fared well in the clothing business in Marquette, married the daughter of a French trader and Ojibwa woman. Granot Loma is named for the first initials of Louis and Marie Kaufman's children: GRaveraet, ANna, OTto, LOuis, and MArie.
Michael Reese Hospital
Michael Reese Hospital is 1,620,000 square foot, 450-bed facility on approximately 37 acres near downtown Chicago that offers a comprehensive array of inpatient and outpatient services. These services range from allergy treatment to full Level III maternity, neonatal and pediatric care, from internal medicine to surgery centers. Founded in 1881, the hospital initially opened its doors to provide care to poor immigrants. Michael Reese has continued its mission over the past 109 years to provide quality, compassionate care to all members of the community, especially the underserved. During its exemplary era as a major teaching and research medical center, the hospital prepared students of all disciplines to be tomorrow’s leaders.
Sanitary and Water Systems In Will County Illinois
Both sanitary and water systems serving University Park, Monee and parts of Will County, Illinois. The number of sites for both sewer and water were substantial. Especially when considering surface easements. Within the actual holdings the sewer treatment facility had 10 parcel numbers and 15 surface easements while the water treatment facility has 7 actual holdings and 4 surface easements. The sanitary facility has approximately 35.19 acres of which most is located on the west side of South Western Avenue in University Park. The water system was less concentrated and had a number of separate well houses and lift stations on 9.163 acres throughout the township.
Peacock Ridge Golf Course
Peacock Ridge is located outside of Marcellus, Michigan and is an 18 hole public golf course that was almost complete at the time of inspection. There were bunkers and cart paths that had not been totally finished; however, the course was just opened to full operations shortly before my inspection. The simplest way to think of the property is in three sections. The first contains the clubhouse, restaurant, banquet, pro-shop areas. It has 33.4 acres and is basically located on the southeast corner of Becker Drive and 94th Avenue (with frontage on M-40). The second section of subject land is kitty-corner on the northwest corner of 27 ½ Street and 94th Avenue. It has 66.4 acres of land. The third section is adjacent to the south side of the first section with frontage on M-40 and contains the driving range. It has 13 acres. These 13 acres are cut out of a leased 77 acre parcel. This 13 acre portion is valued in lease hold interest. According to ownership and County records the entire appraised parcel is 112.80 acres.
Saddlebrook is an approximate 685-acre planed unit development with nearly 1,000 modular home sites. The existing manufactured homes range from about 985 to 2,130 square feet and there are more than 14 different models. There are strict requirements on the type of home to be located in the park. The sites have both lakefront and countryside locations available. For more than 15 years, Saddlebrook Farms, a private community, has been improving the quality of life and, at the same time, reducing the cost of living for active adults 55 and over.
East Peoria Convention Center
The East Peoria Convention Center was located on the east side of East Peoria and is a brick, concrete and metal 78,269 square foot facility that was originally erected in 1987. The building was completely renovated and converted into a convention center starting 2003 and was about 99 percent completed with some work need as of 2006. It is situated on about 8.251 acres of land and surrounded by128.41 acres of land that was also part of this appraisal.
The Concordia Campus is located in Springfield, Illinois and is the main training center for all Illinois correctional officers. The campus has 28 buildings including gymnasium, dinning halls, living quarter and various other office and administrative facilities in 630,784 square feet of building area. Situated on over 5 acres. The buildings were constructed between 1860 and 1990 and many are strictly special use.
Canine Associates International
A state-of-the-art canine training facility located outside Leland, Illinois which provides canine protection for; The President of the United States, The US Department of Defense, The Pentagon, Government Services Agency (GSA), The United Nations, The Transportation Safety Administration (TSA), The Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq (CPA), Ministry of the Interior, Iraq, National Mine Action Authority in Iraq (de-mining) The South African National Police Force, The Public Security Directorate of King Abdullah II of Jordan, Egypt, Afghanistan, Department of Homeland Security- Customs and Border Protection and Ministry of Interior United Arab Emirates.
The main building has 8,940 square feet of area and the kennel has 2,929 square feet. The buildings were constructed last year (2005). From the outside the facility appears to be an office/warehouse but inside has the latest surveillance equipment for class room and training observation. The office and class rooms are high quality build-out. The area that resembles a warehouse is completely built-out like a movie set. There are rooms that resemble kitchens, living rooms, air-port luggage area with conveyors, etc., where they train the dogs to find hidden objects. There is even a room with a false floor where a mock terrorist can hide. Further there are specialized training rooms that are really indescribable due to the nature of what is done. They are basically reward rooms for the dogs that do not allow human touch. Rewards drop out of the walls for dogs when they find the object they are trained to seek. The grounds have an explosives shed and numerous training and exercise facilities. There is one area in the middle of the grounds where there is a stand-alone parking lot with cars, buses, vans, etc., where they teach dogs to find bombs and drugs. The compound is surrounded by metal and iron fencing to keep dogs in and to keep stray dogs out.